Quote

I prefer to be a dreamer among the humblest, with visions to be realized, than lord among those without dreams and desires.
- Khalil Gibran

Monday, July 7, 2008

Sharifah: Novel Opening and Closing



Opening

It was A Moment. One of those cinematic, unforgettable, timeless Moments which are imprinted forever in our minds. The excitement and the total force of hopeful expectations knock the winds out of you, leaving you breathless. For that Moment, everything is perfect and naïveté is still intact. Anything is possible. It really was, for that single sweet summer anyway.

It was a quiet Moment, just me and Larissa on the flight to Boston at the end of the school year. Then it dawned on me that the nervous excitement I felt was, for once, not reflected in her. Our almost psychic bond that was the basis of our friendship… Could it survive being uprooted and placed across the Atlantic for three months?

Ending

As I sat there, watching the waving figures becoming blurred and diminished in the rearview mirror, I felt as if a part of me had been torn out. Severed. Was it just the way I saw the world or had the world itself changed, making everything seem different? I was the same person, aside from the missing part.

All the things I had tried to keep from happening had completely disregarded me and kept going, at full speed. Yet it had not ended in tragedy. We had all hurt each other and thought it was all over, for all of us. Mostly, I think we hurt ourselves. Still, it was the sweet summer I had hoped for and it was not over yet.

No comments: